Rainbow Venetians



This cookie is impressive to look at, isn't it? Almond cake layered with apricot filling, then topped with bittersweet chocolate. The assembly takes some time, but the ingredients are simple and I think the outcome is worth it. They are delicious. In fact, they are so good, that I sent Sluggo (boyfriend) to his job site with the leftover scraps of cookie, not the perfectly shaped nuggets I kept for my cookie platter. The boys apparently loved them. Although I don't think it takes much to impress this bunch.

The recipe is from the Family Circle Encyclopedia of Cooking, which I absolutely love. It's my old school standby cookbook. I love this cookbook so much that when I mysteriously lost it.....I ended up purchasing another one. Coincidentally, I did see the same cookbook on my best friend Karen's bookshelf.  When I questioned her about "the coincidence" her voice got high and defensive and she claimed she had the book for YEARS.  I still suspect she "borrowed" the book, used it several times and then claimed it as her own. She's forgetful like that.

You might notice that the cookie has these small holes in them.  I attribute this to using almond paste in a tube instead of a can. I could not go into one more store the weekend I made these. The canned paste is much smoother to work with.

Rainbow Venetians:
(printable recipe)
1 can 8 oz. of almond paste (not Marzipan)
3 sticks butter (softened) 1 1/2 cups
1 cup sugar
4 eggs separated
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups sifted flour AP flour
1/4 tsp salt
10 drops green food coloring
8 drops red food coloring
1 jar (12 oz) apricot preserves
5 oz semi sweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350. Grease three 13x9x2 baking pans lined with wax paper (greased)
Break up almond paste in large bowl with fork. Add butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract. Beat with electric mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in flour and salt.

Beat egg whites in medium-size bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir into almond mixture with wooden spoon, using a turning motion similar to folding.

Remove 1 1/2 cups batter: spread evenly into one of the prepared pans. Remove another 1 1/2 cups batter to a small bowl: tint with Green food coloring. Spread evenly into second prepared pan. Add red food coloring to remaining  1 1/2 cups batter and spread into third prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. (note: cake layers will each be 1/4 inch thick.) Immediately remove cakes from pans onto large wire racks. Cool thoroughly.

Place green layer on one of of the jelly-roll pans turned upside down. Heat apricot preserves in small saucepan: strain. Spread half of the warm preserves over green layer to edges.
Place yellow layer on top. Spread with remaining preserves. Place pink layer, top side up, on yellow layer.
Cover with plastic wrap and weigh down with large wooden cutting board or heavy flat tray. Refrigerate overnight.

Melt chocolate in top of double boiler or microwave for 1 approximately 1 minute and stir until smooth.

Trim cake edges even. Cute cake crosswise into 1-inch strips. Frost top pink layer with chocolate. Smooth with butter knife. Turn strip over and frost bottom, lay on side until chocolate dries (hardens) Cut in 1 inch pieces. Repeat with all strips.

Makes about 6 dozen


1 comment:

Raina said...

I have always wanted to make these. Yours came out perfect. They look so pretty and delicious. Love the story about Karen..lol