Stir Fried Rice



The "Bob's" in my life declared this their favorite dish, both of them being self proclaimed "meat and potatoes" guys, I can see why. It's a humble dish without any heavy sauces or too much fuss and it's fresher then some of your standard Chinese take-out rice. Feel free to add shrimp, pork or bean sprouts, use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs or play with the sauces. I was not aware that Ah So sauce , the ingredient I used to marinate the chicken with, was more of a staple of the Northeast,  but I am sure you can find something comparable in any Asian market in your area.

The recipe here is on a larger scale because my boyfriend loves it. He'd eat this for breakfast lunch and dinner, so you can half the recipe depending on who your cooking for, but I can promise you, it always goes quickly. 

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken thighs (or chicken breast, shrimp or pork)
1/3 cup Ah So sauce
4 tbs oil
2 carrots (small dice)
1 1/2 cup diced onions
1 1/4 cup frozen peas (thawed)
4 large eggs
7 cups cooked rice
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp grated ginger

Marinate chicken thighs in Ah So sauce for several hours or overnight. When ready to assemble the Stir Fried Rice, set oven to broil with rack on top half of oven. Broil chicken on one side for approximately 3 minutes. When the chicken has blistered a bit, turn and broil on the other side for about 5 minutes or until done. Set aside to cool and cut into small pieces.



Heat 2 tbs of oil in saute pan or wok on medium heat. Add carrots and onions and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Lower heat if vegetables start to dry out. Remove onions and carrots when done and add beaten eggs to the pan. Let the eggs set before stirring, it's okay to brown. When done, remove eggs and add 2 tbs more oil and then add rice. Stir a few minutes and then add stir soy sauce, oyster sauce and ginger, add in onions, carrots and eggs. Stir, while scraping bottom of saute pan or wok. Add in peas and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot!





4 comments:

Karen said...

YUM YUM! I am trying this one for sure. Noelle and Sara are big fans of Ah So sauce, so it should be a winner!

Raina said...

Yum! This is my kind of dish. I would it eat it all day too! Love anything with Ah So sauce on it also:)

Karen said...

I only got as far as the chicken and the kids ate it so fast I didn't have any for the rice!

Karen said...

I made this tonight using your recipe!! Yum! Yum! Yum!!

Thank you,
Karen