Whoopie Pie


Whoopie Pies are a dessert I might crave when I am either hungover or experiencing the end of the work day "crash and burn". Not at the top of my list of "go to" desserts, but....like with Ice Cream, when I crave it I have to have it immediately AND if your a person like my mother...who likes a bit of cake with her frosting, then your probably already a big fan.

I thought it would be fun to serve Whoopie Pies at one of my dinner parties as a sort of "retro" dessert. It can be made with relative ease and since I have not learned the art of keeping it simple, I used it as sort of a "side sweet" to a main dessert. I love to give options.

I did try several Whoopie Pie recipes which ended up either too dry or not chocolaty enough. I probably should have went straight to the blog world, but I wanted to "bang my head against a wall" a few times first. Why make it easy? At least I did know what I was looking for. I wanted to replicate the taste and texture of some of the Whoopies Pies I have experienced in bakeries or stores that sell Whoopie Pies from smaller retailers and since I had already made several attempts...(not kidding....over a Whoopie Pie)  I decided to just re-work the original recipe, which I found on What's Cooking in America. I didn't do anything inventive and definitely not original, but I changed the shortening to butter and flour to cake flour, adding more chocolate...ect.  What I came out with was a Whoopie Pie that closely resembled the texture and taste of a Devil Dog. The "cake"  part of the whoopie, was very light, delicate and mildly sweet which contrasted nicely with the marshmallow/sugar icing. I was very happy with the results. There are so many different flavor options now for Whoopie Pies (gave away Rachael Ray's Pumpkin Whoopies as stocking stuffers last year) that even if you don't like chocolate (whoever you are) or prefer Red Velvet, Chocolate Chip, Orange Almond or Chocolate Mint...the recipes are out there.....a google search away.

Ingredients:
(printable recipe)
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg (room temperature)
2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup Ghiardelli unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)

Filling:
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff
2-3 cups of confectioners sugar (depending on consistency)
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and egg. In another bowl, combine cocoa, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl, stir the vanilla extract into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and beat until smooth.

I used a small  ice cream scoop, evening off the top with a butter knife and deposited on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Leave a 2 inch space between each uncooked cake. I have also tried baking with only cooking spray and had no problem.

Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch. Allow to cook completely.

Spread with Whoopie Pie filling on side that's flat and make a sandwich. Pressing sides together gently to distribute the frosting evenly. Once cool they can be wrapped individually with plastic wrap.
To make the Whoopie Pie Filling:
Cream butter with an electric hand mixer and add marshmallow, vanilla and 2 cups of confections sugar. Add more sugar depending on desired consistency.


3 comments:

Raina said...

You had me at Devil Dog..lol These look amazing. I am a huge fan of whoopie pies. I want to take a bite of that last picture right now:)

Lexie said...

These look awesome - will try asap! Thanks for posting :o)

Lexie said...

These are beautiful. I have attempted whoopie pies in the past and was not successful but I am more than willing to give this a try...thanks for posting!