Super Easy Donuts



In the words of my girlfriend Pam, these donuts are so freakin, easy. She found the recipe on the website Real Simple Recipes and I have to give her credit, not just for the donuts (which were so yummy) but for thinking that a semi-homemade dessert would be the route to take after making Tom Colicchio's Short Ribs, which require a two day preparation. I did receive confirmation that the short ribs are divine and well worth it.....so on to the semi-homemade, super freakin easy donuts.

My girlfriends and I all got on the bandwagon and decided these donuts sounded way too good and super freakin easy, not to make on a work/school/weeknight. I, personally was excited that I would be able to rush home from work with enough time to make these donuts AND take pictures of them with the natural lighting that was left. I swear, I felt like Rachel Wray, getting all the ingredients together and whipping ANYTHING up in 10 minutes from prep to finish is awesome. I will admit, that in my rush to make them, I took the cold biscuit dough straight from the refridgerator to the frying pan. The donuts looked great, particularly after dipping them in the satiny chocolate ganache, but after taking a bite, I realized they were a bit raw inside. I wish I could say that stopped me from finishing the donut. Anyway, second time was the charm.  I rested the dough for about 5 minutes before placing them in the hot oil and I ended up with perfect biscuit donuts.

The chocolate ganache sauce that Pam chose was a perfect for the donut, as was the cinnamon and sugar. I am sure you could get creative with nuts and sprinkles or fill them with your favorite jam using a frosting bag and tip. These donuts are best served warm or at room tempature and don't keep well, but most donuts don't. In my house, I didn't have anyone else there to eat my donuts but me and thank god I am a competitive eater. I don't actually compete with anyone else and my only reward so far is in the form of pounds, but a competitive eater all the same. I ate a whole batch myself!



Super Easy Donuts
(printable recipe)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 8-count package large refrigerated biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grands)

Sugar Cinnamon coating:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Chocolate Ganache dip:
(adapted from Allrecipes)
3/4 cup Giardelli Dark Chocolate chips
3 Tbs Butter
1 Tbs light corn syrup
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract

Directions:
Heat ½ cup of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, place the biscuits on a cutting board. Using a 1-inch round cookie cutter or shot glass, cut a hole in the center of each biscuit, reserving the extra dough for "holes." Test the heat of the oil by dipping the edge of a doughnut in the pan. When the oil is hot enough, the edge will bubble. Place 4 of the doughnuts and holes in the skillet and cook until golden brown, 1 to 1½ minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack or paper towel–lined plate to drain. Add the remaining oil to the skillet, reheat, and cook the remaining doughnuts and holes.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Gently toss the warm doughnuts in the mixture a few at a time. Serve warm or at room temperature.





4 comments:

Raina said...

These look amazing! Donuts are my weakness. These are genius and crazy freakin easy. I cannot wait to try them. I would definitely eat the whole batch too:)

Lexie said...

Hi - so I am going to try and fill with vanilla cream - hoping that not making a hole will not result in heavy fried blob of dough but will try none-the-less because my daughter is so sweet when she looks at me with big eyes and says "next time can you fill them with yummy cream?"...sheesh!

Eva said...

They look so nice and fluffy inside! I love browsing Real Simple for recipes, they always have such tasty food. The chocolate ganache sounds delicious, too :o)

Joy said...

The donuts look great. I used to use biscuits all the time when I was in college and wanted donuts.