Sopapilla Cheescake


Not that I am a food snob by any stretch of the imagination. I thought for the purpose of the blog, a certain sense of continuity and keeping with the way I love to cook, I would keep my recipes completely homemade. My schedule, like yours, can get incredibly busy and we need all the help we can get. What is so bad with making semi-homemade treats once in awhile to save on time, as long as they taste delicious. I came to this decision after being invited to a dinner party recently, the theme was Mexican and I opened my big mouth and said I would make a homemade, Tres Leche cake or cupcakes. I felt certain I had the time to do this, but I over-extended myself at my second job....then there was a recall on my car during this time, my daughter moved to New York, which knocked a little motivation out of me and a laundry list of other small dramas that were beyond my control. I realized I might have overestimated my abilities to make a homemade dessert during this time and I started looking for an quick recipe. I had remembered having Sopapilla with my friend Lisa at a Mexican restaurant, but soon realized it wouldn't be a good recipe to transport. Homemade Sopapilla is a dessert that  needs to be eaten right away, BUT.... I did end up finding this recipe on a blog called CopyKat Recipes. A spin on the traditional Sopapilla. How simple could I make my life after seeing the ingredients and the positive reviews. The dessert had the principles of a Sopapilla, had a wonderful crispy, cinnamon sugar topping and creamy center. No eggs, no baking spray.... this dessert basically made itself and it's fantastic. I even drizzled honey over the crunchy top.  Funny thing was, I ended up buying a dessert for that dinner party I talked about, but made this Sopapilla Cheesecake before work the next morning and had two slice for breakfast~!

Crispy Cinnamon sugar topping

Sopapilla Cheesecake:
(printable recipe)

Ingredients:
2 tubes crescent rolls
2  8oz packages of softened cream cheese
2 cups sugar
Juice of half a  lemon
1 tbs lemon rind
1 tbs vanilla bean paste or extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup of melted butter
Honey (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out one tube of crescent rolls and use your fingers or a rolling pin to remove seams and place the dough in the bottom of a 13x9 baking pan, covering the whole bottom. In a bowl, beat cream cheese, 1 1/2 of the sugar, 1 tbs lemon rind, juice of half a lemon and vanilla until very smooth and spread over the dough. Roll out the second tube of crescent rolls and using the same method of fingers or rolling pin, remove any seams and lay over cream cheese mixture. Pour melted butter over dough and brush to cover all of the dough. Mix remaining 1/2 sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over top layer of dough. Bake for 35 minutes or until top dough is brown, remove and let sit until cool and refrigerate. I ended up cooking the dessert for about half an hour and then dug in.Yummy!


4 comments:

CopyKat Recipes said...

I am glad you enjoyed the recipe. I had this the first time several years ago at pot luck. It was so easy, and so tasty.

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥ said...

Wow yum!

Raina said...

I loved your comment on my blog about whether I gave Karen some. You are so funny:)

This looks so good. I have never heard of this. No matter how much we love to bake, there are those times, especially this time of year, when we need those simpler recipes. Sometimes those are my favorite. This really looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

Kevin Koerner said...

hummm, this would have been nice at our Mexican dinner party. Maybe next time. Cinco de Mayo is coming up...