Red Velvet Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting


Not sure why I am so obsessed with creating the best Red Velvet Cake. I have been toying with this recipe for about a year. I started off by using Cake Man Raven's recipe in my Red Velvet Cheesecake post. This recipe was perfect because it required a firmer cake to compliment the cheesecake and let's face it, it was layered with cheesecake. The combination alone was ecstasy...........BUT.... making a Red Velvet Cake that stood alone required tiny bit of tweaking. First, I wanted to taste more chocolate....just a bit more and although the cake was already moist, I wanted to see if I could get it lighter. I have to say, with all this adding and subtracting, I could have just looked up another recipe, but the one thing I learned was that this is the cake I like best.
The inspiration for the frosting came from a bakery nearby that makes Red Velvet Cupcakes. I was inspired by the white chocolate, cream cheese frosting, so I recreated it and think it came out delicious and something a bit different then your boring, traditional cream cheese frosting. Can you tell I'm a fan?
I would have loved to use toasted pecans for the sides of the cake, but I had none on hand, so I used red sprinkles for garnish. This cake is really moist and delicate, so my other suggestion would be to freeze the cake before frosting it and you won't have to deal with the crumb mess all over your spatula. I do this with all my cakes instead of the double frosting method....UGH!
I think after serving this cake to several different groups of people, I can safely say it's the best I got and it's really good. Tangy, chocolaty sweetness, light, fluffy and super-moist, it's the bomb and the best part, is that the recipe is unfussy. 

Red Velvet Cake:
(printable recipe)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 of vegetable oil
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp vinegar
2 oz of red food coloring (2-1oz bottles)
1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs cocoa

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 inch round cake pans with baking spray

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.

Using hand held mixer or standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed. Don't over mix!

Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pan, covering cake with aluminum foil and allowing to cool. Once cake is completely cool, remove foil and invert to decorate.



Frosting:
(recipe)

1 stick of butter
1 8oz cream cheese softened
1 4oz bar of white chocolate melted in microwave
3 cups of confectioners sugar
1 tbs vanilla extract
1-2 tbs cream



Using hand held mixer or stand mixer, beat together room temperature butter and cream cheese until well incorporated and fluffy. Place chopped white chocolate into microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir and heat for 30 seconds more or keep adding 30 seconds until melted. Add melted white chocolate, beat until smooth, then add confectioners sugar a cupful at a time, add vanilla extract last and a 1-2 tbs of cream depending on what consistency you like.


7 comments:

lorieconway said...

I'm gaining weight just looking at the pictures-must try this! Lorie

Eddie said...

I love the pics! I will have to try out the recipe. Thanks! =P

Raina said...

Wow! That looks awesome! My daughter and I love red velvet cake, but I have never made it myself. Thanks for the recipe. She asked me to make her one for her birthday in January. She will be thrilled. It sounds great especially with the white chocolate and cream cheese frosting:)

Rads said...

Merry Christmas :) :) :) That is one superyummy looking cake!

Justin said...

I want this cake so bad!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll be sure to say hello the next time I see you at RevFit.

Rhi said...

tried this cake, followed it to the dot....it was like rubber :/ very tough and chewy now have to make another cake for my dads birthday...what a waste of time and money!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Hi Rhi,
I am sorry you had that result from this recipe and I hope I don't sound condescending when I say, you sound young (reference to baking a cake for your dad) I am going to make a few suggestions? Baking is a science and it takes some technique. Measuring precisely is very important. Tough and chewy means you overworked the batter and you probably didn't measure the dry ingredients exactly (ie: used too much flour) level off your measuring cups and as always, bake with room temperature ingredients. This cake is easy and basically foolproof, but again, baking is a science and it's taken me some years to learn that. Honestly, I was at a party today that had a Red Velvet Cake and I kept thinking, I love my moist Red Velvet Cake better.