Roasted Eggplant Dip/Baba Ganoush



I hosted a challenging dinner party recently, which included a friend who was a vegetarian and another who had gluten allergies. I thought I had it under control, until I found out the morning of my dinner party that another guest was lactose intolerant. I told my daughter that, "these guys better entertain the hell out of me" and I wasn't joking. As soon as they all arrived, I put everything out buffet style and it was on. I giggled all night, because in the entertainment department, these guys never disappoint. I love my boys!!  The only downside was, that with all the dishes I made, I couldn't get any food shots, the lighting was horrible and I have a shitty camera. Maybe Santa will rectify this soon.

One of the dishes I made was a variation of  Baba Ganoush. In the past, I have made Baba Ganoush by roasting the eggplant in the oven and extracting the pulp, but since I already had eggplant that was sliced, I simply decided to cube the slices, add a few cloves of garlic and toss with a good extra virgin olive oil, pepper and sea salt and roast it in the oven. Garlicky, nutty roasted flavor. So good and I made it twice in one week. Definitely won't forget this in my rotation of "go to" recipes. Too simple and delicious to forget.

Roasted Eggplant Dip/Baba Ganoush

Ingredients:
(printable recipe)

1 large eggplant (1 1/2 to 2  inch cubes)
4 whole cloves of garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cracked pepper
1 tbsp (heaping) of Tahini
Juice of half a lemon or to taste
additional salt and pepper to taste
Paprika

Pre-heat oven to 350. Add eggplant, whole garlic, olive oil and seasoning to a roasting pan or cookie sheet and toss. Bake eggplant about 20 minutes or longer, stirring a few times to cook evenly and prevent eggplant from sticking to the roasting pan. Once eggplant is cooked, add to food processor with tahini and lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Great with pita or your favorite toasted bread. Can be refridgerated and microwaved about a minute to warm.


4 comments:

Pamela said...

FYI - Love that you made your recipes printable and that's exactly what I did for this one. I LOVE me some Mediterranean food!! I'm going to a friends house tomorrow night and I will be bringing this. Thanks!!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Let me know how you like it. It was a hit with the boys. I plan on going back and making all the recipe printable. Thanks for tuning in sweetpea!

Karen said...

Love this!! I am going to try it. Simple and yummy! I agree with Pam, the printable recipes are great.

Raina said...

I love baba ganoush but have never tried to make it at home. I love your delicious and simple recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I will definitely make this. I wish I had some now:)