Homemade Pop Tarts


I started making these home made Pop-Tarts last year when a friend, who happens to be an Iron-Worker, told me that each morning, one person from his crew is responsible for buying the Pop-Tarts for the long drive to the job site. He joked that he buys the "really good Pop-Tarts" and the other guys try to get away with the generic brand, which in his opinion, tastes like cardboard.  I personally think they all do, so I thought it would be interesting, if on his turn to buy Pop-Tarts, he could show up with the homemade kind.....he gets the opportunity to "be the man" and I get to experiment with making them. No doubt they would be a hit with the guys after eating generic brand Pop-Tarts and I had requests for more and used them as stocking stuffer's for Christmas. Nothing beats the home made version.

For my Pop-Tarts I use Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee (pie dough) because you can make the dough in a  food processor. It's buttery, flaky and almost fail proof, but feel free to use whatever pie dough you like, even store-bought works if you need to save time. I added grated lemon rind and a bit of juice to my glaze to compliment the blueberry jam, but, again use any flavor combination. I have used apricot filling with almond flavored glaze, but would love to try brown sugar and cinnamon, strawberry, apple and maple.

Below is the recipe I used to make the Blueberry Pop-Tarts with lemon glaze. Use whatever you have on hand.

(printable recipe)

Pop-Tart:
Pate Brisee (pie dough)
Stonewall Maine Blueberry Jam
1 beaten egg

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp milk

Sugar crystals or candy sprinkles for garnish.

I prepared my dough days in advance, so once it's been removed from the refrigerator, wait until it's soft and workable. I waited 30 minutes in my slightly cool kitchen.

Pre-heat oven to 350. Dust counter top lightly with flour and roll out dough with rolling pin. I was able to use a 5x3 miniature bread pan as a cutout, which works perfectly every time, but because I use this method, I had to check the Internet for the best way to roll out dough and be able to score perfect rectangles. The consensus seems to be, if you use a 9x13 pan as a guide, you can score 3x4 inch rectangles and cut out dough. Place each piece of dough on a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Fill each rectangle with jam, but leaving about a 1/2 inch border. As you can see, I was not too good at that.



Use a pastry brush to brush the beaten egg around the corners and lay another piece of dough over the top. Press the edges with your finger then seal over with a fork. Make sure your edges are sealed all the way around or your jam/preserves will leak. Brush remaining egg over top of Pop- Tart. When your finished making all your Pop-Tarts, place in the freezer for about 5 minutes.


Bake for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown around edges and top. Cool at room temperature. Prepare glaze by grating lemon and adding it to confectioners sugar, add juice of lemon and 1 tbsp of milk at a time until smooth, but slightly stiff glaze. Spoon over Pop-Tart, let glaze set a few minutes and then sprinkle with garnish. You could also make Pop-Tarts as stocking stuffers or little gifts, just place them in cellophane bags and tie with colorful ribbon.



4 comments:

Raina said...

Wow! These look so good. I would have never thought to make homemade Poptarts. My kids would love these, me too:) Thanks for sharing them. Your friend's coworkers must have gone nuts for them. They will probably never want the generic ones or even the original ones again..lol

Anonymous said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

Lexi {lexiscafe} said...

I just made poptarts but I wasn't happy with them. I'm definitely going to try these. They look delicious. Thanks to Raina for suggesting this blog to me.

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Hi Lexi,
I wonder what specifically you didn't like with your poptarts. I read the post, it's always the crust, but was it soft and a bit chewy? I used Martha Stewarts Pate Brisee recipe, which is just simple to do, thanks for stopping by and I'll be checking you out!:-)