Plantains with Brown Sugar and Butter



I love plantains either sweet or savory. Being familiar with Latin American cooking from my daughter's "Colombian" side of the family, I thought I would come up with a recipe that would make me seem very clever and creative. I scoured the net looking for anything similar to my concept and the closest thing I found was a recipe for Plantains Foster from the Food Network, which looks delicious and sophisticated, but my recipe is less work AND ingredients.

There was no "fire show" in the making of this recipe and it's awesome.

I have always loved the way the very ripe plantain caramelizes on the outside when fried in hot oil. I did not use butter for the frying because I didn't feel it could accomplish the carmelization on the banana without burning first, so although there is an extra step, you can still use the same pan. I promise it's really.....really, worth it.

First time I made this recipe, I did not use water and my pan was on too high as I melted the brown sugar and butter, the sauce got this very soft carmel, sugary consistency, which to be honest, I freakin loved. I thought it was the best thing I have ever tasted in the sweet department and it actually got chewier after I served it over ice cream....it was bliss......BUT, I still wanted to re-make the recipe as Plantains in a Brown Sugar and Butter SAUCE, so instead of a gooey delicious mess, I decided to do what was more esthetically pleasing. Seriously.....that is the only reason for modifying the original recipe.  I added a bit of water and cooked the sauce on a lower temperature, which does not affect the flavor. This recipe is perfect when you don't want to chew your sauce

Plantains in Brown Sugar and Butter:
(printable recipe)
3 ripe yellow/black plantains (cut in 1 inch bias-slice)
6 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of Kosher Salt
1 tbsp vanilla

Choose a plantain that is yellow and black. Plantain number 2 is the exact color you want your plantain to be. At this point, they are firm but super sweet and perfect for this dish.

yellow and black plantain, not green

I cut the plantain down the middle of the skin and peel the skin back. Slice plantain on an angle so they look like an oval instead of round. This is referred to as bias-slice.

Bias-slice
In saute pan on medium-high heat, add about an inch of oil (enough to cover the plantains once they are added to the pan) The biggest mistake I make with frying is not allowing the oil to get hot enough. If it's just starting to smoke, drop the plantains in and fry until golden brown. Remove and place plantains on an absorbent paper while you make the sauce.

Remove oil from pan and using same pan, melt 6 tbsp of butter, once melted, add brown sugar, cinnamon, water and kosher salt, stirring until brown sugar dissolves.  Add fried plantains to coat, saute for a few minutes and then add vanilla, stir and serve immediately over vanilla ice cream or enjoy with whipped cream.



4 comments:

Rads said...

I am getting so hungry looking at the pics! How do you stay so healthy after eating all this sinful food..pls tell me thats not your pic on the profile and I will be sooo happy :D

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

HA! Look closely....oh yeah, you can't because it's taken a mile away and I have on all black...shhh....it's our secret!

Rads said...

:D :D

Lexie said...

Oh for goodness sake this is outrageous...love the whole idea and can't wait to try it out.