Pappardelle with Peas and Parmesan


I am so behind on my blog and not really sure why. I am certainly getting enough encouragement from my friends and family, even my mother has started referring to me as "Miss Betty Crocker". Example: "I think we're pissing off Miss Betty Crocker" or "Miss Betty Crocker gives her food away to the neighbors and forgets her mother." I think it's harder writing the post, then actually doing the cooking or photography. Facebook status updates are soooo much easier. The issue for me seems to be whether I should keep talking strictly about the food; provide more detailed preparation, more pictures of the process, helpful hints OR based on the amount of food bloggers out there, assume that most people know how to cook, don't need all the detail and I can spend more time talking shit and giving everyone absurd details about my life and friends. I'm working on this, so bare with me as I iron out the kinks.

This is one of the recipes I have in queue to post. I was randomly looking for a Peas and Pasta dish and found a recipe for Pappardelle with Peas and Parmesan by Mario Batali, done by The Wednesday Chef. It did look fabulous, but I found a recipe on the Oprah site which was closer to how I was going to adapt the recipe. I used Petit Pois frozen peas and more butter and I didn't add sugar or mint. I swear, if your not a pea lover, you'll convert. Just use the best ingredients you can and a really good pasta (I made mine homemade the second time around and yeah, there is a difference) My apologies go out to Kevin, Ed and Yuri who got the packaged pasta at my dinner party. Our original dinner party was cancelled twice due to a heatwave (my fault) and commitments (Kevin's fault) AFTER, I had done the shopping, so I got lazy on the third run and tried to save a few bucks. Note to self...make less, use better ingredients!



Pappardelle with Peas and Parmesan

Ingredients:
(printable recipe)

1 pound fresh pappardelle or fettuccine
1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil (very good olive oil)
1 cup coarsely chopped red onion
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
16 oz of frozen Petit Pois or baby peas
1 cup chicken broth
3 Tbsp. butter
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to taste
Remember to reserve 1 cup whole peas for garnish

Directions:

Boil a large pot of salted water and cook pasta until al dente.

Meanwhile, in a wide skillet, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and saute a few minutes until tender, then add peas and cook about 5 minutes, add chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.  Peas should be cooked, but not mushy. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.  Reserve 1 cup of peas for garnish, then transfer the rest of the mixture to a blender and puree while scraping sides of blender with a rubber spatula, then add back your cup of reserved peas.

When pasta is done, drain it. Add butter to original skillet and pea puree, then add cooked pasta and stir until evenly coated. Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.


8 comments:

Rads said...

Oh wowww..you back with a post :-) Its nice to have you back and posting recipes, and hope you sort out your issues soon. Its your blog, write about what you think is important, and don't bother about how many other bloggers are out there - I just feel everyone is different and special in their own way.

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Hi Rads,
I just saw your other comment. It's good to know someone realizes I am not around. Your awesome! This is also the first summer that I haven't killed myself at both jobs. After this dysfunctional weekend of fun, I will be right back on the horse. I have my eye on you too girl!

Rads said...

I was pretty surprised myself to see your post right after I had left that comment :D :D

I was reading another food blog the other day..there is an event on at that blog..and thought you would be interested in joining. Its not my blog - in fact, I don't think the blogger is even aware I exist. Leaving you a link so you can check if when you are bored :-)
http://madteaparty.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/lets-have-a-tea-party/

Is just a fun thing to do..is not a giveaway or any such thing..and sorry about the superlong comment!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I know, it's like you have ESP...seriously. I will check out the link, thanks. I have wanted to join a baking or cooking group, but most seem to be all filled up:-( I will check it out soon. See ya Rads and thanks for checking in.

Rads said...

Oh..like Daring Bakers?? They restrict the number of blogs that are allowed to sign up..oh okk..didnt know that. I did know they are very strict about not missing challenges and stuff.

Tales from the Fruit Cellar said...

That pasta looks incredible. One of my greatest love affairs in the universe is with peas, so I'm psyched to try this dish! Thanks for sharing :)

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Rad, I checked out the website, so fun. I have an option to cook join a cooking group too. Soon as the kid leaves for New York, I am on it.

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Thanks Jillian, it's soo good. Let me know how you like it when you get a chance to try the dish!