Blackberry Cake with Lime Glaze


This recipe was recommended by a fellow home-cook, baker and co-worker that loves reading Food and Wine magazine. She made this cake for her family and highly recommended it to me. After she explained the ingredients, I googled the recipe on the Food and Wine website. It looked simple enough and best of all, it's an original Scandinavian recipe from the chef's grandmother.  I happen to love, any and all, Scandinavian desserts (see my Kvaefjordkake recipe)
I still made a few changes. I found these plump and juicy blackberries and since I was going to purchase the blackberries, why not make a glaze instead of a powdered sugar topping. I like a sweet and gooey cake. I did bring the cake to work and it got raves for the flavors, so aside from the two pieces I had to have, I got further confirmation of how good it was.
My version is also a bit moister then the original intended. I like cooling my cakes while covered with aluminum foil (and in this case, a dish towel over that) to retain the moisture. This cake's original texture is suppose to be a bit drier and crumbly, so if that's the way you like it, just leave uncovered to cool. 

I will be making this again over the weekend with the remainder of the blackberries and adding lemon zest instead. Truly a delicious cake.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
Finely grated zest of 2 limes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Juice of 1 lime and 2 Tbsp for glaze
1/2 pint blackberries
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray non-stick cooking spray on 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper covering the bottom. In a bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the granulated sugar and eggs at high speed until fluffy, 2 minutes. Beat in the melted butter and two-thirds of the zest. At low speed, alternately beat in the flour and lime juice until almost incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the batter until smooth.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Gently press in the blackberries. Bake the cake on the bottom third of the oven for 40 minutes. Transfer to the upper third of the oven and continue baking for 35 minutes longer, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean with a few crumbs attached.


Once the cake has been baked, remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil and allow to completely cool. Run a thin knife around the edge and release the spring form

For Glaze: Combine one cup of powdered sugar and 2 tbs lime juice, 2 tbs milk and adding remaining lime zest. Stir until smooth. Drizzle all over cake. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments: