Sausages, Peppers and Onions




I would never tell another Italian or "mixed breed" Italian American how to make Sausages, Peppers and Onions....well, I probably would, but they wouldn't listen to me because, like Gravy and Meatballs, everyone has their own recipe and everyone will insist their recipe is the best. 
My friend Karen will argue that her gravy is better then mine and I'll laugh hysterically before I point out that her gravy tastes like a can of Hunts and we will argue back and forth about the finer points of each of our dishes. I love a hearty gravy, while my friend Karen likes her gravy the consistency of a Bloody Mary....hint...hint.. but I digress, we are talking about sausages, peppers, onions and in my dish..... potatoes. I really love this dish, which happens to be mine....who knew.
Not a bunch of ingredients are needed unless you want to add red and yellow peppers  for color. I like to cook this dish until  the peppers, onions and potatoes are overly soft. I know, it doesn't make for the most attractive dish, but the flavors are enhanced this way.
Feel free to double or triple the dish for a party, it's extremely economical and very delicious. You'll be sure to hear..."who brought the sausage, peppers and onions"?

Ingredients:
(printable recipe)

1 lb package sweet italian sausage (cut into three pieces)
2 whole cloves of fresh garlic (chopped)
1 whole green pepper sliced
1 whole onion
1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 large potatoes (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut sausages into three pieces, slice onion into rings and cut into half. Slice green pepper in half and scoop out seeds and white core matter and then cut into thick strips. Add all ingredients, including extra virgin olive oil to a roasting pan or 9x13 baking pan and use your clean hands to mix everything together. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and cook about 30 minutes stirring sausages about half way through. When you start to see the sausages and potatoes browning, remove the foil and let them cook for another 15 minutes. Serve alone with  a bit of grated parmesan, with Italian bread to sop up all the garlicy oil sauce or place in a spucky with mustard on top.







Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Karen said...

How could you???? I am no longer a supporter but now a competitor!!! We are going to have a Italian gravy cook off. I want you to make your own an not from some fancy cookbook....lol.. Date and time????

Karen the Italian and Greek Goddess

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I always make my own gravy and it's original and hearty with succulent meatballs. Let's not blog fight....lol