Lemon Chicken


I love making Lemon Chicken for company, when I need to cook something quick or when I am craving a good pasta and chicken dish. It's unfussy and only requires the ingredients most of us keep in our homes. I generally don't add anything but mushrooms, but feel free to experiment with whatever produce you have on hand. My daughter and I tend to buy asparagus by the truckload, so I added them to this dish. 
I did not wait until the oil was hot enough before adding the chicken, so please wait until the oil is almost smoking and make sure the chicken is evenly browned on both sides.  
In my defense....... and I always have one, I rushed the dish so I could sit down and watch the whole second season of The Sopranos. Food is an integral part of the show and I find it impossible to watch it without eating an Italian dish. When I end up watching the third season, I will allot enough time to make Manigot.

Ingredients:
(printable recipes)
3 tbs olive oil
2 lbs chicken breast (tenders)
1/2 cup flour
1 tbs salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
1 stalk asparagus (optional)
1 cup mushrooms
Juice from half a lemon (more or less depending on your taste)
1/2 cup of Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Heat olive oil in large saute pan at medium high heat, while olive oil is heating, dredge chicken strips in a mixture of  the flour, salt and pepper. Shake off any excess flour before adding the chicken strips  to the very hot saute pan.

Brown chicken on both sides, then add wine and scrape up the bit on the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes until it reduces to about half . This will happen quickly because the pan was so hot. Add the chicken broth if the pan gets too dry.

If your going to make this dish with asparagus, now is the time to add it to the pan because it takes longer to cook then the mushroom, add the chicken broth (if you haven't done so already) and cook until asparagus is almost tender.
Add mushrooms, cook a minute longer.
Add the lemon and the parmigiano-reggiano, stir and serve over your favorite pasta. Garnish with lemon slices



No comments: