Veggie Burger


I didn't really have high hopes for this recipe once I had all the ingredients together in a bowl. The veggie burgers I often eat are NOT made with beans, but all vegetables. I did not pay attention to this fact until I started going through the ingredients of the pre-packaged garden burgers I had lying in the freezer. Sometimes I do like to do things "ass backwards" and yeah, sometimes I don't pay attention to what I put in my mouth. I eat pre-packaged veggie burgers because they are easy, low in calories, slip in my purse and can be microwaved quickly, so I admit this, as I hang my head in shame.
Now, after tasting these veggie burgers, I was very pleasantly surprised.  They were delicious and had a bit of heat to them from the Jalapeno.  My daughter said they were awesome and I don't think she is a big fan of the veggie burger. I used Guy Fieri's Morgan's Veggie Burger recipe, which received a 5 star rating with 81 reviewers.  I personally, do not use condiments, so you'll see by the photo, that there were none added to the burger. I also used a light burger bun at 80 calories and omitted the olive oil in the recipe, which I am sure would have added more flavor, but I promise you, these are good.
I cooked the vegetables in olive oil cooking spray and when I formed the patties to grill, I used olive oil cooking spray as well. I also adjusted the recipe according to the usage of a full can of beans, the recipe calls for just 4 ounces and all the beans I used came in 15.5 ounce cans and I just can't think of wasting anything. The chances of me using the rest of the beans before they spoil, is not realistic. So, I used up everything. I grilled them and froze what I did not use. The recipe called for sage or chili flakes but instead I used of Essence of Emeril. Not because I didn't have sage or chili flakes...they were somewhere in the house...I just could not find them. They will magically appear when I get home tonight. I can promise you that. 
I really do think you can adjust and play with seasonings and make these burgers your own...they really are good and the best part, vegetarian and healthy.



Ingredients:
2 ounces olive oil
3 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons diced black olives
2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
1 teaspoon diced jalapeno
1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
1 tablespoon diced artichoke
4 ounces black beans, drained
4 ounces chickpeas, drained
4 ounces white beans, drained
6 ounces rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg

Directions:
In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1-ounce olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.

Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients along with the egg. Thoroughly mix all ingredients and form into 4 patties, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side.


7 comments:

Rads said...

Hehehee..was going to put in the same thing..you carry burgers in your purse!! Veggie burgers...Love love love you so much for putting this up. I have tried something similar before but the combination of my "superb" cooking skills and the lack of egg resulted in a hopeless crumbly mess. Hubby was fascinated by the whole process and begged me not to waste any more beans, please. Will try this soon and let you know how it turns out.

Was a bit busy with work..still am kind of..so off blogs for some time - did drool at the earlier cake though :-)

Rads said...

The egg gets cooked with just 2-3 minutes on either side?

Rads said...

I promise will try to make it last comment for this post..but did you change the blog layout a bit..looking nice this way. Hope I didnt just notice it now!! Said the same to another blogger and apparently she hadnt changed a thing..

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I keep the veggie burgers next to my switchblade and nunchucks. I made it sound like I carry this cute, little discreet purse with a clasp when in reality it's a huge hobo bad that kills my shoulders!!!!

Rads said...

Oh I like the lighter colour..now its all red..hope you dont mind my saying this.

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I am still playing with the new styles, I was called into a meeting while I was in the middle of this. I do like dark background for the pics, but not committed right now to anything, thanks for the advice though...seriously.

Anonymous said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!