Green beans with oyster sauce


This Green Bean and Oyster Sauce dish is really very simple, quick and tasty. It's a great accompaniment to any meat or fish and is always my "go to" side dish when I am trying to incorporate fresh vegetables into my weekly repertoire of easy foods. I love cooking to entertain so much more then the type of cooking I do during the week. Usually this consists of mass producing a bunch of meals for the work week that are not loaded with fat and calories. I am a big girl, but I would be that much bigger if I didn't work out once in a while and try to eat a few good meals during the week. Don't get me wrong, I start the week off like a champion, sticking to my meals, working out, keeping that "eye of the tiger" motivation, but by Tuesday I have negotiated in my head that having that cookie the "size of a freaking wagon wheel" will not hurt me and then I play that negotiating trick with my head several more times during the week until I hit Friday which is "wine day".....or should I say "wine weekend". Then I really get to cook, eating things like pasta, bread and maybe an appetizer, then it's "let's go out for dinner" and by Monday it's back to that vicious cycle again, so I really am going to try to keep eating healthy this month and give up the "adult' beverages. It's day two and I haven't had a cookie yet.....


Ingredients:
1lb green beans (remove ends or string by pinching)
2 tbsp olive oil (or baking spray if you want to make this dish less calories and fat)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 tbsp garlic (minced)
1/4 cup of oyster sauce
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Heat large skillet pan over medium heat, then add olive oil. When olive oil is heated, add garlic and onion, stirring with wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Add the beans and oyster sauce and cook to your desired tenderness.  I like my green beans with a bit of snap left to them, so it's all about your preference. Just continue to cook over medium low heat. If you find that the green beans are drying out, you can add some low sodium chicken broth or more oyster sauce.

No comments: