Pasta Bolognese


This recipe for Pasta Bolognese is from another Boston chef Barbara Lynch. I wanted to do a dish from her cookbook, particularly after hearing from a friend about her dining experience at one of her restaurants, No. 9 Park and it came right at a time when I had been eyeballing the Chef's tasting menu, but at present, it's out of my price range being a new home owner.  Can you imagine having to worry about  bills over a dining experience.
For my dinner party, I wanted to do something relatively easy. I read somewhere that Chef Lynch's Pasta Bolognese was considered by some to be the best. I also wanted to make a dish I could prepare the day before, so that I could concentrate on the dishes that had to be made moments before the party. I would actually recommend doing this dish the night before or any Italian type sauce (or as we refer to it here as "gravy") because it just gets better and better the longer the flavors marinate together. This Bolognese sauce was so tender and delicious, I had never actually made a sauce using ground veal, lamb and pork, so I was surprised I found all of the ground meat in a regular supermarket, as if I had never shopped before.  I convinced myself  I would have to go to the butcher, not sure why. I think it had something to do with the mixed berry scones I made previously and had to go to 3 different stores for the 3 different berries. I suppose I was still traumatized by that.
I also intended to make this dish with homemade pasta, which I think would have brought the flavors to another level, but I just didn't have it in me, so I went with one of my favorite pasta's, Angel hair or cappelini, but a penne would have been just as good or better, to capture all the sauce....yummy.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion (diced)
1 lg. stalk celery (diced)
1 lg. carrot (diced)
5oz. chicken livers
1/4 cup fresh sage
1 1/2 lb of ground meat (preferably 1/2 lb each veal, pork and lamb)
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 1/2 chicken or beef stock
1 1/2 chopped canned tomato
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup heavy cream
Parmigiana-Reggiano
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat, add the onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8-10 minutes
Add chicken livers and sage, season with salt and pepper cooking until livers lose their red color, 2-3 minutes

Add ground meat in batches letting it brown a little before adding more, season with a bit more salt and pepper, stirring until no pink remains

pour off most of fat then add wine, increase heat and cook until wine is almost gone (10-15 minutes)

Add broth, diced canned tomato, basil and bring to a boil but then adjust heat to a gentle simmer. You should see an occasional bubble
Cook uncovered until sauce is thick, dark and rich (about 1 hour)
Then stir in cream and cook for 5-10 more minutes

Serve sauce over pasta with a generous amount of pepper and parmigiana-reggiano




1 comment:

Karen said...

This sauce (or as you would say "gravy") was delicious!! I knew I tasted something a little different in regards to the meat. Bolognese is one of my all time favorite dishes and when you told me about the liver I had that "ah ha" moment! Must always be served over spaghetti for me- love penne, but not with this rich sauce. I am getting hungry....