Buttercrunch Cookies


I am not your typical Boston sports fan. I don't follow any of the teams unless we are playing in a World Series or Superbowl and yes, you can refer to me as a "fair weathered friend".  What I do take pride in is our restaurant scene, particularly our Chef's..... Lydia Shire, Todd English, Barbara Lynch, Ming Tsai, just to name a few of the nationally recognized, but we have plenty of locally recognized Chef's as well and I intend to get to know them all....through their food of course. I won't be stalking them, but I can tell you I would probably be more googly eyed over a chef then George Clooney. They are my rock stars, what can I say. Anyway, I don't get a chance to eat out often, nor the money to do it (I love pricey cocktails), but some of my "wow" food experiences have been right here in Boston and I think the next few postings I do (with the exception of the few originals I have in queue) are going to be recipes from our own Boston based Chef's and who better to start off with then Lydia Shire.  Her recipe for buttercrunch cookies looked easy enough, but making them with irish butter and your own buttercrunch was taking it to another level. I have been trying to limit the amount of food I eat that is "blog related" because I still need to lose a few pounds....okay, 40lbs and I have been  good about tasting and then pawning the finished product off on friends and co-workers, but I failed miserably after making these cookies. I mean, you have to taste the finished product, but I couldn't stop at one cookie. I almost wish I didn't make them.  I felt like Augustus Gloop from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I kept stuffing one after another in my mouth. I have never used Irish Butter or really knew much about it to be honest, but this just added another layer of goodness. I am so glad I only made half a batch and I froze the rest of the cookies for a party I am having this weekend with my girlfriends and their husbands, but I think I am going to have to bring them to work.....because I know they are there.....calling me.




Lydia Shire’s Butter Crunch Cookies:
2 ½ cups Irish butter
3 ½ cups white sugar
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 tablespoons corn syrup
5 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1.) Melt 1 cup of butter with 2 cups of sugar in a saucepot (with a pinch of salt if the butter is unsalted). Whisk until golden and pour into a brownie pan. Place in the freezer to harden.

2.) Cream together 1 ½ cups with 1 ½ cups sugar, the brown sugar and confectioner’s sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla and corn syrup. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed butter mix. Chop the hardened butter crunch and fold into the dough. After chopping for a minute, I put the butter crunch in a ziplock freezer bag and took a rolling pin too it....worked nicely




3.) Mist parchment paper with cooking spray and place small balls of dough with plenty of space in between. Bake for about 9 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Let cool on wire rack.


8 comments:

Rads said...

Ohhh...these look GOOD! Wish I stayed somewhere nearby..could help you with all your "blog-related food" :P

Christine and Daryl said...

Oh you had better NOT bring those cookies to work - I want to be sure to have the chance to try them!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I will be saving the cookies, I have to feed my photographer...sous chef!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Rads, my daughter told me I should inform the neighbor that he'll be getting food from time to time and to not think of it as a good deed, but a favor to us....or our hips, I should say.

Rads said...

Hahahaha...smart daughter! Have to agree with her on that.

Christine and Daryl said...

I never did get any of those cookies. I want a do-over!

Nicole said...

My husband grew up with a similar cookie and requested I make it for him at Christmas time. He absolutely loves them and I am now making them for his birthday as well. They are very good and I am super grateful the the recipe. It makes a ton but freezes beautifully.

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I am so happy you enjoyed them Nicole. I absolutely loved them too...with a big glass of milk of course!