Berry Scones with Orange Honey Butter

I was at home last Saturday eating my egg white omelette, because I do try to start my day off with the best of intentions, when Tyler Florence appeared on Food Network talking about a great spring menu which included making Berry Scones. He assured the listening audience that these would be "the best scones we have ever tasted" and referred to them as the "ultimate".....and I believed him.
I made the scones a few days later and let's just say Tyler wasn't lying. They were delicious and very easy to make. These scones are not the dry, crumbly scones most of us are used too. They are super moist and absolutely delicious right out of the oven with the honey butter. The berries I used were a bit over-ripe, but so sweet, although they were much harder to fold into the dough mixture without them bursting. I did wonder whether I should have frozen the berries a bit to make folding them into the batter easier, but this was strictly an aesthetics issue because it does not affect the taste. They were the Ultimate Berry Scones.

Ingredients:

Orange Honey Butter:
1 quart heavy cream
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup honey
Pinch salt

Berry Buttermilk Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling scones
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups fresh mixed berries (e.g. blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), washed and dried
3/4 cup buttermilk, (leftover from orange butter), plus more to brush scones

Directions:
In a food processor  bowl add all the ingredients and turn on high (note: I have a regular food processor without the bowl, so I wrapped a dish towel around the bottom, it will leak just a bit)The liquid will slosh, whip and then separate after about 4 minutes When the mixture separates, (these are the butter solids and buttermilk), stop processing and strain out the buttermilk - there will be just under a cup. Reserve the buttermilk to make the scones. Strain out the butter and squeeze dry ( I used a cheese cloth, but pressing down on a strainer will do the trick) Work the butter a couple of times to bring it together to form a nice ball. Refrigerate butter until ready to use.

For the scones:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a food processor bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add cold butter cubes and pulse until you have the texture of coarse bread crumbs. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then add 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir to combine. As it comes together add berries and fold dough to incorporate berries but not break them up too much.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Using a pastry brush, paint the tops of each scone lightly with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar ( I used decorative sugar crystals )

Bake until golden brown, and nice and puffy, about 17 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.

Serve warm with the Orange Honey Butter.

4 comments:

Rads said...

Food Network...my fav was Good Eats..the only good thing is I don't have to contantly keep munching now that I am not watching it!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Ha! I love his show and he is so informative. I made his Coq au Vin and it was so good, my friends ate it until they were speechless, cause that's how we roll....gluttons!:-)

Anonymous said...

ha, I am going to experiment my thought, your post give me some good ideas, it's really awesome, thanks.

- Norman

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Thanks Norman, let me know what you come up with!!!:-)