Asparagus and Guyere Cheese Tart


I saw this tart on Martha Stewart's website and needed a quick and easy appetizer for my party last week. This Asparagus Guyere Cheese Tart is really simple to make and because you twice bake the pastry, I thought I was going to burn the dough before the aparagus got a chance to roast, but it was perfect. The asparagus had just the right amound of crunch and the pastry puff was brown but not burnt.  Martha says you can also use Emmenthaler or Fontina cheese.
I meant to post this right away, but then had to recover........ from my party last week. My friend Christine took beautiful pictures of the food I made, but because of the lighting in my kitchen, everything tends to get this orange cast. You can see it in my posting for Shrimp and Goat Cheese Crepes too, sooooo,  I made another tart and used my lightbox because again, it was evening.  I could have kept the tart in the oven a bit longer this time. It was still declicious and I still manage to eat half of it,  all in the name of food blogging and again, I can get Boston enough on you when I say, it was wicked easy to make. We'll have to film my girlfriend Lisa C, saying this the next time. She does Boston proud.

Ingredients:
Flour, for work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
5 1/2 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 1/2 pounds medium or thick asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Trim uneven edges. Place pastry on a baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.

Remove pastry shell from oven, and sprinkle with Gruyere. Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart shell; arrange in a single layer over Gruyere, alternating ends and tips. Brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until spears are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. 

2 comments:

D.Todd said...

Hey Antonette! It's Dustin from REVFIT. Just wanted to let you know that I tried this as an appetizer for a dinner party I threw last night. I had a lot of vegetarian friendly people, so tried to balance it for everyone. This was such a hit! I used Fontinella cheese instead of the ones you had listed, and unfortunately they only had super skinny mini asparagus at the store, so they sort of sunk into the cheese, but it was beautiful and most people's favorite part of the party. Great recipe, lady!

Xo,
Dustin

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Hi Dustin. Thanks for checking out and using a recipe on my blog. I am thrilled! Also, I think I am going to try the Fontinella cheese next, this easy recipe is so versatile, I almost wish I could take credit for it:-)