Galaktoboureko





I spent Easter over Karen B's house and she wanted to celebrate with preparing some greek dishes, since her family is part greek. She prepared Stuffed Grape Leaves with lemon sauce,  a lebanese recipe for Rolled Eggplant ( I know, it doesn't follow the whole Greek Easter theme, but it was goooood), Lamb Shanks, Avgolemono Soup, Greek Salad and my contribution was homemade Italian Scali bread (again, not Greek) and Galaktoboureko. The food looked and smelled amazing. There were only three adults there, so it was literally a food orgy and the way I've been eating lately, you would think I was training for this day. Karen is an incredible cook and it doesn't help that I get there starved. I immediately threw whatever appetizers I could persuade her were cooked and rushed to the table.....then, she pulls out her camera and starts taking pictures of the food while I was trying to eat.....trying to eat prematurely, that is.  Like a dog, I don't want anyone fussing around my bowl while I am trying to eat. I almost growled at her. To give her credit, she was not as obnoxious as I was the day before when I was taking pictures of my Triple Layer Chocolate Fudge cake. I was in such a rush to cut the cake and try to get the best photo possible,  that I made it into some event. I was not satisfied with any of my shots and you can see a huge difference in pictures I take when I am alone to pictures I take when I want to just get a picture taken and get back to having fun with my friends. 
I decided I need to cook and entertain without making it an opportunity for my blog. I don't want to be someone that is trying to do both at the same time. I want to make entertaining about the moment and not an opportunity to do two things at once. My blog is my hobby, my way of being creative, of doing something I really enjoy on my own time.  I love cooking as a solo experience. I want to concentrate on the food, display it in the best light, take a picture of what I accomplished and..... THEN pawn the food off on friends, family and co-workers.  It's a learning process and let's see if I can stick to it. I probably won't.

 This recipe adapted from the Gutsy Gourmet. I favored this recipe because the syrup was made with honey as opposed to lemon and more closely resembled the recipe that made me think this was one of the best desserts I ever had. I loved the syrup so much, that when I originally made the recipe, I doubled the syrup to pour over the finished dessert. No need to do this! Also, wait until the cake is cooled before  you add the syrup and place in the refridgerator. I think this makes for a crispier filo topping.

INGREDIENTS:

SYRUP:

2C water
1/2C Honey
1C sugar
2 stick cinnamon
4 whole clove

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil.
Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 min.

Remove from heat and cool.

FILLING:
1qt milk
1/2C sugar
1/2C unsalted butter
1 Tbl. Grated orange zest. (Packed ) Can add a tsp. more if desired
3/4C fine semolina (pasta flour) (can use Cream of Wheat ®)
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine milk and sugar in deep sauce pan and heat over low until scalded. DO NOT ALLOW TO
BOIL. Add butter and stir until melted. Add semolina in a steady stream, stirring with a whisk to
prevent lumps. Cook until mixture begins to thicken. Beat eggs until frothy and fold into milk
mixture.

FILLO:
1-1/2 pkg Fillo
1/2 lb unsalted butter(melted)
1 egg beaten (for glaze)

Defrost fillo according to pkg directions.Brush a 12x9 baking pan with butter and lay 1 sheet fillo on top. Brush fillo with butter and top with another sheet until you have layered 10 sheets. Fillo should be over lapping the pan. Pour the custard over fillo and bring edges of fillo over custard. Repeat adding 10 more sheets of buttered fillo.

Paint the top of the last fillo sheet with the egg glaze.

Bake at 350º about 50 min or until golden brown. Let stand 5 min before pouring syrup on it. Add syrup slowly it soaks in. Set aside for 6 hours before serving. Cut in diamond shapes to serve. This can be made one day ahead.

Serves 12





6 comments:

Kimberly said...

That looks absolutely delicious, and... I want to know how to get on Karen B's invite list!!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I don't think you need an "official" invite. Your one of us....degenerate and a food lover!

Sak said...

it looks yummy..I gave you a blog award! check my blog for the award.

Karen said...

Kimberly your always invited anytime!! The Galaktoboureko was delicious! I'm thinking a dinner party soon..

Yinka said...

Food is looking amazing dear. I see you "bloging" pawning off the food to your friends...When can I be a beneficiary of the "doing" part?:)

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

You already have a highly prized benefactor....dear. I am in to feeding the needy, NOT the greedy:-)