Banana Nut Muffins with Cream Cheese Maple Frosting



I am not sure what is up with banana's, but they ripen way to quickly. I end up feeling bad about throwing food away because, as all of our mother's probably reminded us, "there are children starving" somewhere. I could literally buy two banana's and by the time I go to eat the second one, it's ripe, so for times when you don't want to throw your overly ripened banana's away, there is always the banana bread. I like banana bread, but I have to be in the mood for it and when I do indulge, I usually smear cream cheese on it or toast it and smear butter on it. It's not enough for me to just have the banana bread or anything for that matter without smearing something on it. Last night my daughter had some very lean chicken she made with onions in some sort of low carb. sauce that she was eating with a low carb. wrap. She really makes very good low cal/low fat meals, so I decided to have what she made for dinner, but I added 1/4 cup of low fat cheese to it. She said "you just couldn't eat it, the way it was, could you"?...... You had to add more fat to it? (joking). I said, "yeah! I turned this 300 calorie meal into a 330 calorie meal, WOW and we laughed, but it was true....I still told her to "shutty mouthy".

This recipe incorporates a few recipes. I was looking for a maple flavor and instead of adding it to the already sweet cream cheese, I drizzled 100% pure maple syrup on the muffins because again...I like to add things. I brought these to work and they were a hit. They are phenomenal right out of the oven after they have cooled.

Things to note: not until you add the banana's to the mixture will the batter start to look moist enough to add to muffin tins. You will NOT be using a beater for this recipe. Hand mixing only for muffin batter.

Ingredients:
Muffins

Butter, for greasing pans
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
1stick of butter (softened)
1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened, do not beat. Stir in the banana, pecans, and vanilla.
Divide the batter in muffin tins lined with paper and bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Wait 15 minutes, remove from tins and cool on wire rack. While muffins are cooking, start your frosting.

In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.  Frost your muffins and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.

2 comments:

Rads said...

Love that last picture...wish I could just put my hand in and get some!

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

I lost the battle myself. I love my sweets!