Chocolate Mousse Cake/Gateau Mousse au Chocolat

I wanted to get a respectable amount of recipes on my blog before I took it global....which only means blabbering about it as I am desperate to do. So, with an idea from two friends, one of them a mother looking for a flourless cake recipe and another, someone I work with who has a glucose intolerance, I decided my next post would be a flourless dessert. I found what looked like an incredible recipe on Easy French Food, stuck the mousse cake in the oven, proceeded to have several glasses of Freixenet with my girlfriend Karen who came over to cut my hair for our trip to New Orleans Saturday...What..What! We proceeded to discuss labor unions, healthcare, Karen's pole dancing talent and how everyone she works with is amazed at her ability to "drop it like it's hot' and still manage to get back up,  Sandra Bullock's marriage (she seems like the perfect woman to me) and what we were going to wear in New Orleans....too much walking to look cute in heels and finally, when I took the cake out of the oven, it seemed like it was done, cracked on the top, firm to the touch, clean toothpick test, so I stuck it in the refriderator after allowing it to cool.
Well, 10:30pm comes around, I want to take pictures of my cake, so I take it out of the fridge and cut into it. It does not have the consistency that I have seen in pictures and I am thinking I did something wrong, but thank god through my hazy, foggy brain, I just chucked it back in the fridge to deal with the next day. Well, woke up this morning and the cake was perfect. It definitely needs to be chilled, the flavor is amazing, it tastes like a firm mousse, the coffee really brings out the chocolate flavor and I whipped up some cream with a bit of powdered sugar to taste. I don't like it too sweet, the cake is sweet enough and I had some Stonewall Raspberry, Peach and Champagne jam that I added water to and drizzled over the cake. Yummy!




Chocolate Mousse Cake

Ingredients:
l lb butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 lb quality semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup coffee (freshly brewed)
8 lg eggs (room temperature)
2 cups sweetened whipped cream

Put all of the ingredients into a heavy saucepan, EXCEPT for the eggs. Place heat on low and stir until everything has melted and remove from heat.

Beat eggs with mixer until light colored and thick, about 3 minutes. The eggs will froth up to about triple the size. Pour the chocolate mixture in a thin steady stream while continuing to mix. I did try cooling down the chocolate by adding the egg mixture, but gave that up and poured it right into the egg mixture just as described in the recipe with no problem.
Pour the batter in a greased  9 or 10 inch springform pan or use a regular baking pan. I put parchment paper on bottom of my pan, buttered the pan and added cocoa mix to coat.
Bake a 350 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes or longer if needed.
Refrigerate all day or overnight.












4 comments:

Sak said...

it looks yummy. leave some for me !!!

Karen said...

Wow- that looked a lot better than the cake Maya took to school! You know it was Sasha Cohen's (figure skater) favorite and Maya was doing a report on her which is why she made it.

The Hedonistic Kitchen said...

Too bad Sasha didn't like something easy like jellybeans or something:-)

Karen said...

Yes, I can still drop it like it's hot!! Don't insinuate that I can't. I will vouche again for the tasty flourless cake. What I really what to see on this blog is something about the food experience we had in New Orleans and to try some tasty treats inspired by that trip. So get working on it!!!! I am working on a few of my own.. Next is the cooking class.