7 Yolk Pasta dough


The first time I made homemade pasta dough, I literally could not believe how easy it was. I was so impressed with myself and feeling extremely superior to everyone else, I took every box of pasta out of my house and gave it away to my mother. You would have thought she hit the lottery, because my mother loves anything free. I even made some sort of absurd remark about how I could never bring myself to eat boxed pasta again as I threw each box in a garbage bag. (I had regular bags in the house, but I felt like making a statement) Then yesterday, I went out to eat with my best friend Bob and we ordered Chicken Francaise, when the dish arrived, I took one bite, set my fork down, looked over at my friend and said " boxed pasta" as if I was going to be sick to my stomach. I am sure he wanted to say, Oh honey, I have seen you put worse things in your mouth, but he stayed silent. I have great friends.

This recipe was 'adapted' by Thomas Kelleher's French Laundry cookbook I am sure his recipe was not meant to be done in the food processor, but truth be told, I just didn't have that kind of time and I made a cake and needed to use the yolks.

7 Yolk Pasta: 

1 3/4 All Purpose Flour
6 Large egg yolks
1 large egg
1 1/2 Tsp. olive oil
1 tbs milk

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until ball forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If dough still sticks, add a bit more flour, then turn out onto a slightly floured surface and kneed well. I mean need the hell out of it using the heel of your hand in a forward motion. Throw it on the counter, really man handle it. It It should be smooth and silky, not sticky and have some "spring" to it. You should be able to pull at it a bit and it snaps back. Let the dough rest at least a half hour.



You can roll it out at this point and either roll it up cigar style and cut even strips, which I tried to do and realized half way through that I was making the strips too thick, so I took out my pasta machine and cranked it out instead.  Let the the pasta air dry for at least 10 minutes and your done. Just add to boiling salted water and cook until al dente.



3 comments:

Sak said...

such a fun post mixed with food and laughter..trust me I really laughed at this.. ( boxed pasta" as if I was going to be sick to my stomach. I am sure he wanted to say, Oh honey, I have seen you put worse things in your mouth, but he stayed silent)...haha..have a great weekend...:-)

Pamela said...

I have tasted your homemade pasta and all I have to say is YUMOLA!!!! Keep on blogging girlfriend....it's a great read!

Karen said...

I've had the pleasure of having it prepared by Antonette and served Cabonara style.. Talk about mouth watering. Great job Antonette! I love this. It really does make you want to throw away all your boxed pasta. I'll give mine to Sissy too..